Monday, October 5, 2009

A King Kong Pow or Hyllus Diardi - Fighting Spider Hunting Adventure at Thomson

Last saturday me, Jong71, Simone, Urahinuk and his friend went to Thomson to hunt for fighting spiders. Thomson used to be my childhood hunting ground as I stayed Toa Payoh when I was young. It had been a long time I didn't return to Thomson and I was kind of excited for this hunting trip. The weather was sunny in the morning till early afteroon and while we prepared to set off for the hunt, it rained. Not a good day I guessed but we still proceed to Thomson.

When we arrived, the rain stopped. The ground was kind of wet and the leaves was filled with droplets of water. That doesn't put us off and immediately we started to flip the leaves after spraying ourselves with insect repellent. Plenty of 'sticked leaves' but that was due to water sticking them together and not the spider web. We caught several male and female spiders along the route to where Simone caught Megatron.

The spot where Simone caught Megatron housed a large patch of wild pepper leaves. After searching for quite sometimes, we gave it up as the result was pathetic and Simone suggested we moved to the spot where he caught Laser.

We arrived at the spot where Simone caught Laser and it was much better then the previous. It's a long stretch of road with big yam leaves. Our morales went up again and we can't wait to land ourselves with some good size fighting spiders. During the hunt, we missed afew spiders and Urahinuk finally got himself a medium-large size fighter. That fighter was the largest caught on that day and won all the newly caught fighters !

Around 5+pm we were all shacked out and I was left behind while the rest were much ahead of me searching for fighting spiders. The sky was getting abit dark and suddendly from my left eye, I sensed that there was a big and black thing on my left and when I turned and looked at it, it was a big spider that resembled the shape of a fighting spider. It looked exactly like a fighting spider except it was almost black in colour. It lacked the iridescent green and blue hue. The abdomen was thin but it got two thick and long arms. The size was about 2 times of a large size Thiania Bhamoensis.

When I first looked at him, it really got me very excited. I thought I had spotted a King Kong Pow ! He was resting on a small leaf with arms spreading wide. I stared at him for a few seconds wondering if its a T. Bhamoensis and when I had finally decided to capture him, he jumped. Alas, I lost one big spider. Feeling unsastified, I waited there and searching for him. It was kind of dark and visibility wasn't that good. After waiting on the spot for 5 mins, there's still no sign of him and suddendly out of nowhere I heard a soft feminine whisper. Oh mine, I couldn't make out whether its a human voice or insects' cries. Not wanting to stay there anymore, I quickly moved to where the rest of the guys were and forsook about the king kong spider myth.


Some of the fighting spider matches held at Thomson.

Thomson Match 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRof3JzZP4c

Thomson Match 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YANxeqhYFE8

Thomson Match 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAA9McbFprk

Thomson Match 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpdkNTOT0lE


Another picture of Hyllus Diardi
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68268595@N00/3385156524


*** Contributed by Trevally ***

0 comments: