Monday, July 27, 2009

My Passion for Fighting Spider

Since I was a kid, I used to catch fighting spiders in bushes and matched them against each other. It was a fun game where most of the children in the 60s, 70s and 80s loved it. As time goes by, children tend to sway away from this game. There are too many electronics games around and catching fighting spiders is not an easy game to play with. You have to endure walking under the hot sun, insects bites and not to mention watch out for snakes !

Oh yes, there is another thing that I forgot to mention. There is basically a lack of spider hunting spots in Singapore. Those green vegetation found at HDB estates, parks and nature reserves are prohibited by Town Councils and NParks. Catch at your own risk !

I rekindled my passion for fighting spider when MediaCorp TV broadcasted Fighting Spiders. That was in mid April this year.

http://fightingspiders.mediacorptv.sg/games_spiders.htm

After several google from the net, I chanced upon this thread where it was created by one malaysian guy who shown great passion for fighting spiders.

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/608348


From there on, I joined the thread and started communicating with members there. I was glad that there were a few members from Singapore and that means I'm not alone. :)

The first few fighting spiders that I caught were from my workplace compound. The bushes wasn't that thick and mainly constitute of japanese bamboo. All and all, I caught over 20+ fighting spiders from that stretch of bushes. After segregating those good ones, the lousy ones were released back to where I caught them.

*** Contributed by Trevally ***

0 comments: